- A Materiality Assessment gives you a nuanced definition of sustainability for your organization
Create a consensus & understanding between departments on issues that impact value and performance
- Gather information from internal & external stakeholders for a robust, well-rounded evaluation
Our Approach to Materiality Assessments
What is a materiality assessment?
Through a materiality assessment, Third Partners pinpoints the sustainability and CSR issues that are most significant to your organization. Our process is tailored to your needs and can include the following components:
- Industry benchmarking – we research the landscape of important players in your industry (e.g., competitors, suppliers), and we distill the takeaways that enable you to differentiate your brand and lead in sustainability
- Internal & external Interviews – we conduct in-depth conversations with teams throughout your organization, covering predetermined questions regarding your identified material issues, while also allowing new topics to emerge
- Customized surveys of key executives and other stakeholders – we work with you to craft and deploy a questionnaire about your organization’s material issues, and then we provide you with rigorous statistical analysis and interpretation of the survey results
These methods generate a holistic understanding of your material issues, grounded in both qualitative and quantitative data. Additionally, we identify gaps and opportunities pertaining to these issues and deliver a succinct report containing a materiality matrix, along with specific recommendations on how to achieve your organization’s goals.
Case Study: Memorial Sloan Kettering
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City has been at the forefront of sustainability in the health care sector for the past decade, winning PracticeGreenHealth “Top 25” Award as a top program in the country several times. MSK needed to demonstrate the value of sustainability to the broader organization and create a forum for strategic discussions between teams. MSK also sought to determine which sustainability issues were important to its stakeholders. Third Partners deliverables included convening sessions with executive leadership and management across the organization, an all-employee survey, a materiality matrix of its key sustainability issues, and a report with themes and strategic recommendations.